Summary: Kerr vs. Vovchanchyn
Comment: This was the first Pride event I saw. I feel that the Mark Kerr vs. Igor Vovchanchyn fight is worth the purchase of this dvd. Kerr looked like a monster next to Vovchanchyn (Kerr 6'3" 265lbs Vovchanchyn 5'9" 235). I had not heard of Vovchanchyn before I saw this fight, but after watching him fight Kerr I won't forget that name. I could not believe the striking power this guy had at his disposal. The win was controversial because of the old Pride rules, which were a disadvantage to the striking type fighter, the rules have since been changed to allow the type of strikes that Vovchanchyn used to finish off Kerr.
Summary: Good MMA DVD
Comment: Overall this was a good tournament. Pride FC is a mixed martial arts tournament held in Japan. It is held in a ring with ropes, and there are some rules such as no grabbing the ropes, no kicking a downed fighter on all fours, no eye gouging, and no groin punching. Besides that, pretty much anything goes. You will see some great submission, grappling and striking in the tournament.
1) Matsui vs. Schrijver - This is Matsui's 4th Pride appearance coming in with a record of 1-0-2. This was a good fight, but you'll see why they call Schrijver, "Dirty Bob".
2) Malenko vs. Silva - Surprisingly, Silva took this fight to the ground and looked a bit tired. He is known for his striking ability, but remained in the mounted position for most of the fight.
3) Inoue vs Kulihaapai - This was an interesting fight to see Inoue fight with his gui, but this was a total mismatch.
4) Cikatic vs. Smith - Smith was coming off some impressive wins, one over Mark Coleman in UFC. This started out with plenty of action, but ended on a low point. One of the fighers submitted to an easily defendable move.
5) Shoji vs. Parker - This started out good with both fighers excahnging punches and wrestling on the ground, but by the end of the fight, it became routine for Parker to just lie on his back and wait for Shoji to jump in. The last round, there was a lot of action and exchanges of strikes.
6) Sakuraba vs. Macias - As always, Sakuraba is fun to watch. Macias also made quite a show of it. This was my favorite fight just to watch what techniques Sak would come up with. He is truly a master of submissions.
7) Kerr vs. Vovchanchyn - Very dissapointing ending. This started out great with fighters exchanging strikes, but ended on a low note. One of the fighters was clearly breaking the rules and did not get called for it. Kind of a bummer because he won by breaking the rules.
Summary: A main event fight that deserves that name.
Comment: Pride 7 was held on September 12, 1999 at the Yokohama Arena
The first match is between Pride veteran Daijiro Matsui against Cage Fight tournament veteran Bob Schrijber. Good match with an ending that may leave you mad.
The second match is between Pride veteran Carl Malenko and in his Pride debut International Vale Tudo and UFC veteran Vanderlei Silva. Another good match.
The third fight is between UFC 13, Shooto and Japan Vale Tudo veteran Enson Inoue and in his MMA debut Tuli Kulihaapai. One sided match but it is good.
The fourth match is between former Extreme Fighting and UFC heavyweight champion Maurice Smith against Pride and K1 veteran Branco Citivic. This was one strange match.
The fifth match is between Lumax Cup and Pride veteran Akira Shoji and Extreme Challenge, Super Brawl and Bas Rutten Invitational veteran Larry Parker. A really good fight.
The sixth match is between UFC Japan tournament winner and Pride veteran Kazushi Sakuraba against UFC and IFC veteran Anthony Macias. Another good fight.
The Nobuhiko Takada vs. Alexander Otsuka match is not on the DVD.
The main event is between WVC 3 tournament winner, UFC 14 & 15 heavyweight tournament winner and Pride veteran Mark Kerr and IFC Kiev tournament winner, WVC 5 tournament winner, AFC 3 tournament winner and Pride veteran Igor Vovchanchyn. This was a great fight, but with a controversial ending.
I recommend this for any people who like Pride and Mixed Martial Arts.
Summary: Good fights
Comment: I would say the DVD is worth getting for the Vovchanchyn VS Kerr match. This was the beginning of Kerr's fall from grace, before this everyone thought him untouchable.